The Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing was first seen in a teaser aired during the Rolex 24 At Daytona endurance race, and was officially unveiled on February 1st, 2021. The range-topping model is set to enter the market during the summer of 2021 as a 2022 model year vehicle.
|Model years:||2022 – Present|
|Assembly Location:||Lansing Grand River Plant, Michigan, USA|
|Engine:||Twin-turbocharged 3.6L V-6 LF4|
|Transmission:||6-Speed Manual, Hydra-Matic 10-Speed Auto|
The first-gen CT4-V Blackwing sedan is equipped with the torquey twin-turbocharged 3.6-liter LFY V6 under the hood, with a boosted output rating of about 10 more horsepower compared to its in indirect predecessor, the beloved ATS-V. The CT4-V Blackwing rides on the Alpha 2 platform, which is an upgraded iteration of the first-generation Alpha platform used by the aforementioned ATS-V.
As such, the all-new model was designed and engineered to compete directly against the following vehicles:
- BMW M2 Coupe
- Mercedes-Benz A45 AMG and CLA45 AMG
- Audi RS3
Additionally, thanks to its larger size, the CT4-V Blackwing will also indirectly compete with the BMW M3, Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG / C63 AMG S, and Audi RS5 Sportback.
From a positioning standpoint, the CT4-V Blackwing will represent an all-new entry for Cadillac, which has never had an ultra-high-performance vehicle in the C-sedan segment. From a mechanical standpoint, the CT4-V Blackwing will be more closely related to the first-generation ATS-V Sedan.
The 2022 CT4-V Blackwing model has only been confirmed for the U.S. market so far. We expect the high-performance variant to also make its way to Canada, Mexico, the Middle East, and possibly Russia.
The 2022 CT4-V Blackwing offers various performance-enhancing equipment, including two optional carbon-fiber packages, dubbed Carbon Fiber 1 Package (CFZ Pkg) and Carbon Fiber 2 Package (CFV Pkg).
Carbon Fiber 1 Package – $4,100
- Front splitter
- Front wheel well deflectors
- Front dive planes
- Rear extra aero spoiler
Carbon Fiber 2 Package – $5,230
- Requires Carbon Fiber 1 Package
- Rocker moldings
- Rocker extensions
- Rear valance diffuser
Those looking to order their very own Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing should be aware that the Carbon Fiber 2 Package cannot be ordered without the Carbon Fiber 1 Package, meaning that the total cost of the Carbon Fiber 2 Package is $9,330. While the carbon fiber components are often seen as a cosmetic enhancement, the performance aspect is arguably more important. According to Cadillac, the wind-tunnel-tested carbon fiber packages can reduce lift by 75 percent compared to the standard aero.
Brembo brakes are standard for the high-performance sedan, though it does not offer a carbon ceramic option like the larger CT5-V Blackwing.
A ‘high-performance’ steering wheel is also available, and is included with either of the optional high-performance front seats. Compared to the standard steering wheel, the optional steering wheel is leather-bound instead of sueded microfiber and includes a V-Mode button, Performance Traction Management switch, carbon fiber trim, and VIN numbering.
The performance data and video recorder is another option for buyers who want to log their track sessions.
- June 2019: “Next-level Cadillac CT4-V” prototype shown at the 2019 Detroit Grand Prix
- June: Cadillac performance variants manager, Mirza Grebovic, says that Cadillac V-Series models will “go out with a bang” before EVs take over
- June: “next-level” Cadillac CT4-V spied running laps
- July 2019: Reports indicate that next-level Cadillac CT4-V will be called “Blackwing”
- July: CT4-V Blackwing rumored to use twin-turbo 3.6L V6 LF4 engine from ATS-V
- August 2019: new spy video shows CT4-V Blackwing prototype, seemingly with twin-turbo V6 engine note and manual transmission
- August: Cadillac President, Steve Carlisle, says that GM is committed to V-Series performance products
- December 2019: Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing spied undergoing testing, revealing more about high-performance sedan
- January 2020: Sources that confirm CT4-V Blackwing will, in fact, use the LF4 engine from ATS-V
- March 2020: another CT4-V Blackwing prototype spied undergoing testing
- April 2020: COVID-19 pandemic delays various GM vehicle launches, including CT4- Blackwing
- April: Cadillac Society renders the CT4-C Blackwing
- May 2020: Reports indicate that CT4-V Blackwing will not be made available in China
- June 2020: CT4-V Blackwing caught testing at proving grounds
- August 2020: GM teases CT4-V Blackwing steering wheel
- October 2020: CT4-V Blackwing prototype spied undergoing testing, giving us our best look yet at the upcoming super sedan
- October: Cadillac announces that the CT5-V Blackwing and CT4-V Blackwing will offer magnesium wheels as an option
- October: Sources confirm that CT4-V Blackwing will go on sale in the summer of 2021 as a 2022 model year vehicle
- December 2020: GM announces that the CT4-V Blackwing (and CT5-V Blackwing) will come standard with a manual transmission that utilizes 3D printed parts
See Cadillac CT4 sales numbers for all markets, including the United States, Canada, Russia, and South Korea.
- Cadillac CT4 sales are comprised of all CT4 variants, including CT4, CT4-V and CT4-V Blackwing.
- Information for market (country) specified.
- Sales information compiled from various sources by Motrolix.
Want to stay up to date on all things Cadillac? Then be sure to subscribe to Cadillac Society for more Cadillac CT4 news and around-the-clock Cadillac news coverage. We also invite you to join the latest discussions in our Cadillac forums.