Cadillac South Korea sales totaled 219 new vehicles in December 2018, a decrease of 22 percent compared to December 2017.
Individual model sales performance was as follows:
- Cadillac ATS sales decreased 9 percent to 30 units; the range saw the sedan body style discontinued after the 2018 model year
- Cadillac CTS sales were flat at 28 units
- Cadillac CT6 sales decreased 20 percent to 124 units
- Cadillac XT5 sales decreased 60 percent to 25 units
- Cadillac Escalade sales increased 300 percent to 12 units
- Cadillac does not market the XTS nor the Escalade ESV in South Korea
In the first 12 months of 2018, Cadillac South Korea sales increased 4.6 percent to 2,101 units.
Sales Results - December 2018 - South Korea - Cadillac
|MODEL||DEC 2018 / DEC 2017||DECEMBER 2018||DECEMBER 2017||YTD 2018 / YTD 2017||YTD 2018||YTD 2017|
The Cadillac Society Take
After a healthy uptick in October and a 5.58 percent decline in November, Cadillac sales fell even harder in December. We previously believed that prior declines in Cadillac South Korea sales were caused by negative consumer perception following the restructuring of Cadillac parent company, General Motors, in South Korea.
Specifically, the restructuring proceedings, which took place in the first quarter of 2018, were covered extensively by the media, with the overwhelming majority of this coverage portraying GM and its Chevrolet brand in a negative light. Prior to the finalization of the restructuring agreement, rumors ran rampant that GM would completely withdraw from the Korean market if it didn’t get the concessions it was looking for. Though Cadillac was not directly mentioned during this coverage, its image still suffered as a result of its association with General Motors and Chevrolet, likely causing consumers to become reluctant in investing in a Cadillac as a result of an uncertainty about the brand’s future in the local South Korean market.
However, we now believe that Cadillac South Korea sales are being impacted by other factors, specifically those associated with model availability and competitiveness.
About The Numbers
- All percent change figures compared to Cadillac December 2017 sales, except if noted
- Cadillac South Korea sales figures represent vehicle registrations rather than raw sales volume
More Cadillac Sales
- December 2018 Cadillac salesÂ results
- Cadillac USA December 2018 salesÂ results (available quarterly)
- Cadillac China December 2018 salesÂ results (available quarterly)
- Cadillac Canada December 2018 salesÂ results
- Cadillac Russia December 2018 sales results
- Cadillac Mexico December 2018 sales results
- Cadillac Korea December 2018 salesÂ results
I just read that the CT6 is not being discontinued in the US after all… get your act together Cadillac!!!!
And now GM is saying that the electric future is the last resort to save the brand.
I’m sitting here thinking about how the creation of Lexus almost drove BMW and Mercedes out of our country and they fought back HARD. Mismanagement at GM and no brand direction has nearly destroyed one of the most storied brands in the history of Automobiles… and now they’re basically saying that if this doesn’t work….
I’m so pissed!