Yesterday i have lost my Cadillac car keys probably outside in the snow. now i need to get a replacement for the car ASAP. What should I do? any idea what is the best way?
I had a key fob, push to start type of key.
I read that i need to code the chip with the right value?? what does it mean?
Any help would be highly appreciated.
Hey there! I know it must be overwhelming, especially if it’s the first time you evver lose car keys…
here’s some info that might help:
Generally speaking, to get a replacement key, you have three options:
1. Call an automotive locksmith that offers a mobile service for cars. Here is a phone number for a company that have many different locations and locksmiths: 800-223-1453. I think the work all around the US but not sure. Give them a call and ask.
2. Tow the car to the dealer.
3. Order a key online and have the dealer or locksmith cut and program it for you (if necessary).
Here is the link to read more:
If you do call a locksmith or the dealer, don’t forget to mention some important information so they will check if they have the key blank and the necessary tools to code you the new key:
1. Year, make and model of the car
2. Your exact location including street address and zip (for the locksmith to find you easily)
3. VIN number of the car located on the dashboard – very important
4. Make sure you can show them proof of ownership – otherwise they will not make you a new replacement key.
Regarding the cost, it really depends on the type of key you had.
There are 3 main types of keys:
Non-chip keys: for older models (mostly 2000 and older)
Transponder chip keys – these types of keys must be coded on site with a special machine, otherwise the car wont start. These are more expensive to make
Key fob – push to start – these are the most expensive types of keys. Mostly made for models made after 2015.
The average cost is somewhere between $180-$450. It also depends on your location, time of day, weekend, etc etc.