The Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing was officially unveiled on February 1st, 2021 and is expected to enter the market during the summer of 2021 as a 2022 model year vehicle. The familiar supercharged 6.2-liter LT4 V8 under the hood, though with a slight power-bump compared to the third-generation CTS-V. The biggest distinction from its indirect predecessor, however, is a 6-speed manual transmission, which is standard for the CT5-V Blackwing and was unavailable for the third-gen CTS-V.
|Model years:||2022 – Present|
|Assembly Location:||Lansing Grand River Plant, Michigan, USA|
|Engine:||Supercharged 6.2L V-8 LT4|
|Transmission:||6-Speed Manual, GM Hydra-Matic 10-Speed Auto|
|Availability:||U.S.A., Canada, Middle East|
The 2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing representing the first-ever model year for the nameplate, meaning the first-generation has not yet entered the market. This hasn’t kept the brand from building up a ton of hype and excitement for the upcoming product.
As stated, the high-performance luxury sedan will feature the stout and supercharged LT4 gen-five small block V8 with a Cadillac-estimated output of 668 horsepower and 659 pound-feet of torque, which is a slight bump compared to the engine’s output under the hood of a third-gen CTS-V, which put out 640 horsepower and 640 pound-feet of torque. Notably, the CT5-V Blackwing’s application of the engine now represents its highest output, surpassing the 650 horsepower and 650 pound-feet of torque generated by the sixth-gen Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 and seventh-generation Corvette Z06.
Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing Timeline
- May 2019: the 2020 Cadillac CT5-V is announced as an all-new, intermediate performance model
- June 2019: Cadillac shows “next-level CT5-V” prototype at the 2019 Detroit Grand Prix
- June 2019: Cadillac performance variants manager, Mirza Grebovic, says that Cadillac V-Series models will “go out with a bang” before EVs take over
- July 2019: reports indicate that next-level Cadillac CT5-V will be called “Blackwing”
- October 2019: more spy shots show best look yet at CT5-V Blackwing prototype
- December 17, 2019: new spy shots reveal CT5-V Blackwing front fascia
- January 25, 2020: Reports confirm CT5-V Blackwing will feature supercharged 6.2L V8 LT4 engine and offer the option for a manual transmission
- March 20, 2020: new spy shots show best look yet at CT5-V Blackwing prototype
- April 2, 2020: COVID-19 pandemic delays CT5-V and CT4-V Blackwing models
- April 14, 2020: GM confirms Blackwing name for next-level CT5-V sedan and shares soundtrack of CT5-V accelerating, as well as a teaser image of the rear three-quarters of the CT5-V Blackwing
- May 14, 2020: Cadillac Society renders upcoming Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing sedan
- June 17, 2020: Spy shots capture CT5-V Blackwing with bronze wheels
- August 2020: GM teases CT5-V Blackwing steering wheel and GM Authority notices some easter eggs on the steering wheel teaser
- October 2020: Cadillac announces that the CT5-V Blackwing and CT4-V Blackwing will offer magnesium wheels as an option
- October 2020: Cadillac confirms that the CT5-V Blackwing will go on sale in the summer of 2021 as a 2022 model year vehicle
- November 2020: Cadillac Society learns that CT5-V Blackwing will wear wider front and rear tires than third-generation CTS-V
- December 2020: CT5-V Blackwing (and CT4-V Blackwing) will feature improved manual transmission with 3D printed parts
Want to stay up to date on all things Cadillac? Then be sure to subscribe to Cadillac Society for more Cadillac CT5 news and around-the-clock Cadillac news coverage. We also invite you to join the latest discussions in our Cadillac forums.