Home » Class Action Lawsuit Filed Over Delaminated Cadillac CUE Screens

Class Action Lawsuit Filed Over Delaminated Cadillac CUE Screens

Class Action Lawsuit Filed Over Delaminated Cadillac CUE Screens

A class action lawsuit has been filed against Cadillac parent, General Motors Company, over issues with Cadillac CUE screens in various models.

The lawsuit – Gruchacz, et al., v. General Motors, LLC – was filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey. It alleges that the Cadillac User Experience infotainment screens crack, delaminate, bubble and become unresponsive. The class action suit includes current and former owners and lessees of the following Cadillac vehicles equipped with the CUE infotainment systems:

• 2013-2017 Cadillac ATS
  • 2013-2016 Cadillac SRX
  • 2013-2017 Cadillac XTS
  • 2014-2017 Cadillac CTS
  • 2014-2017 Cadillac ELR
  • 2014-2017 Cadillac Escalade

The suit explains that plaintiff, Tonya Gruchacz, purchased a new 2014 Cadillac ATS in New Jersey. Within the 4-year/50,000 mile warranty, the Cadillac CUE screen allegedly became unresponsive. After calling the dealership, Gruchacz was allegedly told that the vehicle was no longer covered by the warranty and that it would cost about $1,200 to repair the system.

The CUE screen allegedly appeared cracked or shattered and was still unresponsive to touch in July 2017, so the plaintiff contacted the dealership and was again told that the repairs would cost about $1,200. Gruchacz then brought the ATS to the dealer in March 2018 to perform a recall unrelated to the issue. She told the dealership that the CUE screen appeared shattered and did not respond to touch. The lawsuit states that she was told by dealership staff that they “see this issue all the time… the screen is not cracked, it’s the laminate.” The plaintiff was then quoted $1,053.58 for the repair.

The class action lawsuit also cites a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) sent to Cadillac dealers in December 2014 and August 2017 citing bubbled, cracked, or delaminated CUE screens. The TSB advised  service departments to replace the Integrated Center Stack, which is the vertical center panel that includes the screen in the impacted vehicles. The suit states that the 2014 bulletin makes specific references to existing customer complaints, thereby allegedly proving that GM/Cadillac knew that the systems were defective prior to 2014.

The plaintiff further alleges that Cadillac CUE touchscreens fail when the adhesive film and glass become separated, a condition otherwise known as delamination that results in gaps between the electrode arrays, causing electrical problems. Delamination allegedly stems from flaws in production of the sensing panel or by improper installation of the screens. The separation, the suit claims, allows moisture to enter between the materials and causing a bond-level failure.

“Poor interlayer bonding can also result from improper cleaning and preparation of the glass surface during panel manufacture resulting in delamination,” claims the lawsuit documents. Flawed installation of the panel in which clamping forces on the panel are excessive or of non-uniform nature can also contribute to delamination by generating strains, warping, and deformation in the glass that exceed the adhesive bond force of the interlayer.”

The suit claims that the GM/Cadillac should have known about these CUE screen problems via  internal testing and customer complaints. The plaintiff is being represented by Lite DePalma Greenberg and Poulos LoPiccolo.

Source: CarComplaints.com

Written by
Alex is the founder of Cadillac Society. He has a deep passion for automotive business strategy and enjoys driving his ATS sedan on twisty mountain roads.

27 Comments

1. Re Class action law suit. This is great. I thought I was the only one with this problem. I have a 2016 ATS-V and the Infotainment system has exactly the same problem. I hope this gets the attention of Cadillac. If Cadillac knew about it and kept on selling the thing, that’s fraud. Go Get Them!

2. CUE will go down in GM history as a total and complete failure. GM has two options: (1) come up with a permanent solution (which the 2018/19 models may already have) or (2) offer free CUE replacements for the entire lifespan of the vehicle.

• I TOTALLY AGREE, BUT, THEY WONT…..NOT SURE IF I WILL EVER BY ANOTHER CADDY.

• Actually, the 2018-2019 ATS, XTS, and CTS are still using the exact same defective gel based screen design as the 2013-2017 models. They will fail after a few years just like all the prior model years.

• The only permanent solution is to replace the terrible gel-center factory screens with a gel-free screen. Cuescreens offers these and its a pretty simple DIY job.

3. I totally agree. My 2016 ATS-V is my second Cadillac. I plan to purchase a CT5-V Blackwing. How can Cadillac be so short sighted and risk losing customers like me over a relatively small problem like this.
    I hope the president of GM will be the adult in the room and fix this problem.

4. Just purchased a new 2019 XT5.
    Time will tell if GM have learned their lesson.

5. Mine repaced under warranty on my 2014 xts.warranty is out now and im just waiting for the screen to die again.stuck with a timebomb

6. I think the CUE is one of the most elegant designs in car history. If only it was durable and worked as intended. My ’13 has been replaced once under warranty for a failed screen. The voice recognition is a bad joke and the haptic has failed. Now they went in the other direction and the CT5 has a thousand buttons. Give me the clean look of the Cue that works, but it’s too late. It’s reputation is mudd.

7. I have owned 3 Cadillac ATS’s. A 2013 Sedan, 2015 Coupe and 2018 Coupe. The 2013 had the CUE screen replaced twice for having cells not working (ie radio stations) and for going spastic (flipping screens. The 2018 was because of the cracked or shattered screen. I live in FL and this is from the heat. The fit is so tight in the console that it can’t expand, therefore shattering the screen. As long as you are under manufacturer warranty, the Cadillac Certified Pre-Owned warranty or some extended warranties…..it will be covered. I work at a Cadillac dealership and this has been a problem, especially the earlier models.

• Sadly, these gel based screens generally fail right after the warranty expires. You are correct in that heat and sunlight increase the failure rate, however it is due to gel evaporation in the middle layer causing the shattered appearance. Check this video for more information. https://youtu.be/DVlaEKNoOMs

8. Roger on the Mudd. It may be elegant, but I have never liked touch screens in moving vehicles. I am a retired airline pilot and bumps in the air or bumps in the road make it difficult to put your finger in the right place. Plus you have to take your eyes off of the road and look at the screen. Fortunately the Bluetooth function still works, even with the failed screen so I can listen to YouTube music. I hope to law suit is successful and that justice is served.

9. If Cadillac wanted to make sure its customers are happy, just fix the issue before it gets to this point.

10. Every CUE system ever built suffers from this issue. It’s a design defect. Check the video on our main page to see how the gel turns to powder and cooks out of the screen.

Cuescreens offers gel-free replacement screens that will never fail again, unlike the awful factory screens that will fail in 1-3 years. We have sold over 10k replacements to customers so far.

11. just bought a 2016 SRX They are replacing the screen. Is there a replacement head unit that is going to be offered.

12. Same thing recently happened to my 2013 XTS. So happy to hear of this lawsuit.

13. Mine freezes (ironically) whenever the system gets too hot. And I live in Las Vegas. It’s usually OK when I start the car in my garage. But even with a window shade, it happens 100% of the time when parked outside. Whatever station I have it on, it freezes and then programs that station over and over again. Overrides other programmed stations. It should be a recall item that Cadillac fixes. I love my car, but this is a big enough annoyance to trade the car in.

14. How do we add our names to the class action lawsuit? Will they contact us?

15. Wow! Where do I get one of the 2017 ELRs affected by this lawsuit?

Should be interesting to see how this turns out. GM should really just step up and extend the warranty on the screens. I’ve read reports that they’re using refurbished units with the same problem as replacements. Seems like they should also find a different supplier for the replacement screens.

16. On 2017 ATS had problem with the Cue. How can I become part of the class action suit?

17. My cue is unresponsive as well every once in a while why I’m driving a warning
    Sign would come on saying don’t take your eyes of the road you can cause crash etc i previously had driven my car i went to go visit my in laws it’s like 3 minutes away from me so I parked my car wasn’t nothing wrong with my car so after 2 to 3 hours I got in my car started it up the warning sign was on so I went to push ok it’s not responding I’m not driving so why this warning on my cue my car was parked I’m mad you all because I put 20,000 dallors down on my 2015 Cadillac platinum Cadillac I paid it off with in 6 months I just had my car only for 16 months and the want 1700 hundred dallors because the cue has to be replaced and on top of that my moonroof sometimes slide back this is one of the things they had to fix before I took it off the lot and now my material is hanging it’s not rolling up so I have to keep the shade slide back and for that they want 2500 to 3000 dallors

18. IT’S SAME IN CHINA

• Yes, all 2013-2019 CUE systems with the Gel based screens will fail over time. Generally 1-3 years in hotter climates, and 3-5 years in colder areas. The heat from sunlight, LCD panel,and the heater all contribute to the gel evaporating away and leaving the spider web appearance. Check this video for more information: https://youtu.be/DVlaEKNoOMs

19. This is insane!! My radio is starting to spider really bad and my back up camera keeps glitching when I’m in reverse. I have a 2014 SRX only 58,000miles and of course it is out of warranty. My dealership quoted me $1300.00 to replace it.

20. Join in on the class action suit or better yet the use of a social media plaform to embarrass GM to do the right thing which is to replace all screens free of charge.

21. So glad this is FINALLY being handled. My screen has been cracked and unresponsive for over a year. I’ve been waiting for the recall but I’ll take this too!!

22. The screen on my 2016 XTS failed after about 2.5 years. I have a long commute, so the 50k mileage warranty didn’t cover the failure. I just paid $1200 for the dealer to install a remanufactured unit. I get a 1 yr/12,000 mile warranty. Here’s what bugs me: So many screens have failed, there appears to be an active market for all the perfectly good center stack units (sans screen). The dealer didn’t offer me a credit, or offer me the option to take my OEM center stack home. That GM hasn’t admitted they’ve sold cars with bad screens and appear to be happy to let dealer service centers profit from owners’ misery feels like a scam. I look forward to the results of the class action lawsuit, which sure looks like a slam dunk.