Home » Owners Continue To Struggle With Cadillac SRX Headlights

Owners Continue To Struggle With Cadillac SRX Headlights

Owners Continue To Struggle With Cadillac SRX Headlights

Back in April of 2019, news broke that some 2010 – 2015 Cadillac SRX customers would be reimbursed for expenses incurred for repairs for their vehicle’s headlights. Now, almost a year later, some SRX customers are still complaining about issues with their headlights.

Cadillac Society has received a number of emails and letters about this issue from concerned customers detailing the problems they’ve encountered with their Cadillac SRX headlights. To note, these emails and letters are recent, providing further evidence that the issue is far from resolved.

Some customers have sent emails to Cadillac’s parent company, General Motors, about the issue, but never received a response. Others indicated they couldn’t drive their vehicle at night, and that the vehicle warranty wouldn’t cover a fix. Still others say they had the headlights replaced for thousands of dollars without reimbursement. Finally, one customer said that driving the vehicle has become so dangerous, they have instructed their family to sue Cadillac for wrongful death if the vehicle’s poor lighting results in a fatal accident.

Last year, it was reported that owners of 2010 through 2015 model year Cadillac SRX crossovers would be receive reimbursement for repairs addressing the faulty headlight issue, following a class action lawsuit filed in 2017. The class action suit is separate from another class action suit concerning the SRX headlights filed in Detroit in 2019.

The problem stems from allegedly faulty weather seals around the headlight that could prematurely erode, allowing moisture to enter the headlight casing and resulting in the headlight bulb to either dim, or burn out completely.

Some customers have reported that the problem can return even after a repair is performed at a dealer, and some dealers have flat-out refused to fix the issue, even though the vehicle still under warranty.

Reports from April of 2019 indicate that GM agreed to reimburse out-of-pocket repair expenses associated with the moisture issue at a rate of up to $1,600 per replacement. However, the class action lawsuits claim the fix doesn’t stop moisture from reentering the casing, causing the dimming issue to return. The Detroit lawsuit even claims that GM actively attempted to cover up the Cadillac SRX headlight defect.

Subscribe to Cadillac Society for more Cadillac SRX news and around-the-clock Cadillac news coverage.

Written by
Jonathan is an automotive journalist based out of Southern California. He loves anything and everything on four wheels.

17 Comments

1. I don’t know who choose the engine for the 2012 Cadillac SRX. The engine lock up.

2. Just swap the incandescent bulbs with LEDs. I did this on my 2009 Chevy Equinox, which has a moisture problem with the housings, and the lights never fail. And during DRL usage, my Equinox is extremely visible even in bright sunny days.

Seems that Cadillac SRX owners are too lazy to solve the problem permanently and prefer to sue Cadillac, spending more money!

• Well it does cost $1600 just to replace both headlights so to just ‘swap’ them isn’t as easy as you make it sound.

• If it were you spending 35 thousand on a car you want it right. They new of the problem so they should pay.

• Raymond – that’s such an a$$ backwards way of thinking, that I don’t even know where to start.

First, it’s not about being lazy or not lazy. What it is about is a defect on a key part of a vehicle (the headlamps!) that shouldn’t fail in the way that it’s failing.

Second, the issue is compounded by the fact that the vehicles in question are Cadillacs – meaning that they should have higher levels of quality, service and workmanship than other/lesser models/brands.

Third, the customer shouldn’t have to resort to aftermarket solutions on vehicles for such a necessary part of the vehicle as the headlamps. Remember that the last model year for the SRX was 2016. That means that some of these vehicles are still relatively new. Your 2009 Equinox is a whole different story – it’s much older, so you should set your expectations accordingly.

Bottom line: there is this notion called the right way of doing business, and another called the wrong way. One saves you money in the short term but costs you the customer for life. The other costs more money in the short-term, but keeps the customer for life.

I’ll leave it at that.

3. Perhaps GM should just replace them immediately no questions asked… but this is GM and they are simply pathetic in their efforts and their customer service. They “fight” with their customers instead if fixing their mistakes… great for building customer loyalty. Thus they are losing customers, market share, and profits… GM Sr Mgt is absolutely the worst its ever been…

• When your Cadillac dealer and machinac tells you different bulbs will throw a code on the car it’s a little tough to fix it your self. So it’s not a lazy thing ,Donk !

4. I Purchased a 2010 Cadillac SRX new and last year my wife was driving at night and she couldn’t see the road well enough to find the expressway and ended up getting lost.I didn’t want to spend thousands of dollars to fix or replace headlight assemblies one is leaking moisture and both lights are so dim She can no longer drive the vehicle at night.

5. It costs a whole lot of money to attract a luxury car customer, and GM has no problem pissing of the same customer and losing him/her. Seems Caddy has lost touch with the customers in the segment. They get what they deserve. I was a very loyal customer, and now I’m not, and GM/Cadillac doesn’t care one way or another.

• I can’t see at night with my 2013 Cadillac SRX but when I received a letter I called Earhardt Cadillac & they said it would cost $3,200 to fix but Cadillac will only reimburse $1600.00. Who can I call to resolve this issue?

6. We have a 2014 Caddy SRX and the thing is dangerois to drive on low beams at night

• I have a 2013 Cadillac SRX.
      I purchased it on March 2019 used.
      When we test drove the vehicle is was in the day. We never tested the lights. Never dreamt the headlights didn’t work.
      So less than a week we went to drive in the evening and we had to use high beam and that barely was able to see. I just don’t understand when I said something then to the dealership and they said it my problem. How can I get info to be included on this lawsuit. I would never have purchased the SRX. This is my fourth Cadillac.

7. I have been Having the same issue with my cadillac srx 2013, I have to hit my highbeen constantly when driving at night.

8. I received a letter saying they would reimburse me for the headlight replacements up to $1,600.00 and since have misplaced it.
    Does anyone know if this is a real thing and how to go about it?

• I received the same letter. I went to Fremont Cadillac to get my headlamps replaced and here’s the ripoff. The letter limits reimbursement to $1,600 for 2 headlamps. Fremont charges $3,403.04 plus tax to replace, so they would have charged me over $1,800 to perform the service. Bottom line, I was out the 30 mile round trip and half-day of my time after saying thanks, but no thanks.

9. GM please step up and fix this problem with headlight moisture. I bought my 2010 Cadillac SRX 6 years ago. Have had this problem since and been dealing with the manufacturer. The closest I have come to getting this problem fixed is a letter that said to pay out of pocket $1600.00 ( senior citizen living on fixed income that does not have this money to spare) . When I took my car to dealership l was told that I had HID headlights and they are not covered. GM would refuse to reimburse me. All GM is wanting is me todo is to sign release form for law suit. When I can afford to buy another vehicle it WILL NOT BE A GM PRODUCT. Until then I will have make sure I am home before dark. Thanks for teaching me a valuable lesson.

10. I just left the Pensacola Cadillac dealership and they said that it would be over $1400.00 per light and you are only paying $800.00 per light why is that if it is your fault?