The 2020 Cadillac XT5 delivers a midcycle update to Caddy’s popular midsize luxury crossover. Cadillac Society has been gradually outlining all the various changes and updates to the vehicle, and today we’re focusing on its next-generation wireless smartphone charging feature.
Compared to the 2017, 2018 and 2019 XT5, the 2020 Cadillac XT5 gains a next-generation wireless phone charging setup. From the outside, the system looks identical as before, and continues to use the PMA and Qi charging standards. However, the system now charges devices at a rate of up to 15 watts (3 amps), as requested by the compatible smartphone. By comparison, the system was only able to charge at up to 5 watts (1 amp).
In addition, the second-gen wireless charging system in the 2020 XT5 offers enhanced cooling for faster charging, and also makes it easier for customers to properly align their phone on the charge pad, enhancing ease of use and – ultimately – satisfaction.
Those who have yet to use the wireless charging feature should know that the first step is to ensure that you have a smartphone compatible with either the PMA or Qi wireless charging standards. To check compatibility, we suggest referring to your device manual or specifications sheet. For smartphones that are compatible, a special adapter / back cover can sometimes be purchased to enable the wireless charging functionality.
Once you know that your device is compatible, follow these steps:
- Remove all objects from the charging pocket, since the system may not charge if there are any objects between the smartphone and charging pocket.
- The charging pocket is the vertical opening just fore (ahead) of the center armrest, just before the vehicle traction control buttons.
- Insert the phone in the charging pocket until it rests on the bottom of the pocket.
- To maximize the charge rate, ensure the smartphone is fully seated and centered in the holder with nothing under it. A thick smartphone case may prevent the wireless charger from working, or may reduce the charging performance.
- If properly positioned and charging, a green icon in the form of a lightning bolt appear next to Phone icon on the vehicle’s central infotainment display.
- If the lightning bolt icon turns yellow, ensure that the charging pad is clear of any objects and that the smartphone is capable of wireless charging before repositioning it.
- If the lightning bolt does not illuminate, the smartphone may need to be repositioned.
We should also note that the smartphone may become warm during charging, which is normal. Additionally, the speed of charging may be reduced in warmer temperatures. In addition, some phones have built-in thermal protection to conserve the health of the battery and device when they get hot. This is normal behavior for the phone and not a defect of the charging pad or pocket.
For 2017, 2018 and 2019 Cadillac XT5 models, the wireless charging is standard on Luxury, Premium Luxury and Platinum models. It is not available on the base mode.
Meanwhile, the wireless charging on the 2020 Cadillac XT5 – which adopts Caddy’s new Y trim level strategy – is standard on Premium Luxury and Sport models, but is not available on the base Luxury model.
Updated wireless charging is just one of several changes and updates to the 2020 Cadillac XT5. We will cover more in the near future, so be sure to subscribe to Cadillac Society for more Cadillac XT5 news and around-the-clock Cadillac news coverage.