Automotive lighting technology has come a very long way in the past few decades, moving from traditional incandescent bulbs to projector beams, then to HIDs and LEDs, now with intelligent beam-forming functions. Cadillac is no stranger to that transformation, as its entire 2020 lineup now featuring LED lighting as standard equipment. But there’s another, less prominent lighting feature – Front Cornering Lights – that has made its way to the luxury brand’s lineup.
About Front Cornering Lights
Front Cornering Lights (or lamps), which Cadillac pioneered many years ago, provide additional light in the direction that the vehicle is turning at lower speeds, helping the driver see more of the road surface.
In today’s lineup, the front cornering lamps come on when all of the following conditions are met:
- The low-beam headlamps are on
- The turn signals are activated or the steering wheel is at a turning angle
- The vehicle speed is below 25 mph (40 km/h)
Identifying Cadillac models with front cornering lamps is easy, since the lights are typically positioned as at the bottom end of the vertical signature lights / Daytime Running Lights.
However, front cornering lamps should not be confused with adaptive or Active Forward Lighting. The former works at lower speeds to illuminate the ground in close proximity to the car, while the latter works at high(er) speeds to aim the primary light in the direction of a turn, such as a highway bend.
All 2020 Cadillac models offer front cornering lights, either as an option or as a standard feature. following is availability for each 2020 model year Cadillac vehicle:
- CT4: optional on Sport, Premium Lux and CT4-V as part of the Front Lighting and Assist Package, which includes Front and Rear Park Assist, front lamp turn signals and front cornering lamps. Not available on base Luxury trim.
- CT5: optional on Sport, Premium Lux and CT5-V as part of the Lighting Package, which includes illuminating front sill plates and front cornering lamps. Not available on base Luxury trim.
- CT6: standard on Premium Luxury, Platinum and CT6-V. Not available on the base Luxury trim.
- XT4: optional on Premium Luxury as part of the Technology Package and standard on Sport. Not available on base Luxury trim.
- XT5: standard on all 2020 models. For the 2017, 2018 and 2019 model years, front cornering lights were standard on Premium Luxury and Platinum models, optional on Luxury, and not available on Base.
- XT6: standard on all trim levels.
- Escalade (2015-2020): standard on Premium Luxury and Platinum models but not available on base and Luxury models.
As of this writing, it’s unclear whether the all-new, 2021 Cadillac Escalade will feature the Front Corner Light feature, and how it will be implemented.